How to Become a Tutor
If you would like to find out more about volunteering at the Volunteer English Program just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or give us a call at 610-918-8222. We ask all prospective tutors to fill out a sheet with their contact information, availablity, and background. Please download this form by clicking Tutor Info Sheet, or call us and we will be glad to mail one to you. Also, please note that we require a one-year commitment of approximately 3 hours per week, for the sake of continuity and effectiveness for our students. If you wish to be involved but cannot make such a commitment, please call the office and we will be glad to discuss other ways of helping our program .
Attend a nine-hour tutor training workshop. This is held in three evening sessions of three hours each. Please click Workshop Registration at the left to find details about the next workshop.
Review the profiles of individuals on the waiting list and give input about who you would like to have as a student.
Come to the office at an appointed time to meet your student (we will try to match you with one of the students that you selected) and participate in an example lesson.
During the matching appointment, you will:
- Receive information about your student’s language skill level and learning goals.
- Be assisted with finding a convenient and appropriate place to meet with your
- Be given the Individual Learning Plan developed for your student and receive appropriate books.
- Observe and participate in a demonstrated lesson with your student
After you have been matched, you will:
- Meet with your student twice per week if possible for 1 ½ hours each time.
- Give your student assignments when you will be out of town or otherwise unable to
- Fill out the tutor-student progress form and send it in to the office regularly so we
can document progress and goals attained to report to our funders (very important!!).
- Always have VEP staff to call upon for any concerns and more ideas.
You can expect to:
- Learn interesting facts about your student, his country, customs and culture.
- Feel gratified to be able to observe the important impact you are having on your
- Make a very good friend.
- Have a great time.